Monday, March 15, 2010

Enough About You, More About Me

You’d think that I would be a natural at interviewing. I mean, it’s the perfect set-up for an only child: just talk about yourself for 30-60 minutes straight! Cake. Unfortunately, recruiters and I tend to take divergent views on what constitutes an interesting topic of conversation. I like talking about Twilight and Mexican food; recruiters enjoy discussing my academic background and my professional work experience. BORING. If I had my way, interviews would be a lot more entertaining…

Q: Tell me about yourself.
A: I’m an Aquarius and I think that my mom is the coolest. My choices in footwear often render walking a near impossible task. My mastery of the French language both begins and ends with the sentence “Je voudrais un crepe avec nutella s’il vous plait” (I would like a crepe with Nutella please) – incidentally, this is a supremely useful phrase to know. Don Draper is my ideal husband (minus the rampant cheating). I can run train on bacon. I am a magnet for parking tickets. I have a gargoyle fixation that began in college. And oh yeah, I have mad marketing skillz.

Q: Describe your weaknesses. How do you compensate for them?
A: I’m extremely narcissistic but why would I want to compensate for that? A healthy dose of self-confidence never hurt anyone. I’m also overly competitive but I manage my competitive streak by only participating in contests where I am virtually guaranteed victory.

Q: Describe your leadership style.
A: I tend to employ the directive style of leadership. What this means is that I like to tell other people what to do.

Q: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
A: I play the lottery every week, using a proprietary algorithm to select the numbers. In about three years, I’m finally going to hit it big at which time I will take out a full page ad in the Wall Street Journal proclaiming “In Your Face MIT Blackjack Team”. I plan to use my winnings to purchase a farm just outside of Madrid where I will begin building my goat cheese empire. In my spare time, I will draft a proposal for a radio show named “Hit It or Quit It." I will co-host with one of my friends and the show will be broadcast on NPR.

Q: Are you comfortable with ambiguity?
A: Sure.

Q: How do you evaluate success?
A: In U.S. dollars.

Q: What approach do you take in getting people to accept your ideas?
A: Bribery is a pretty effective way to get people to do what you want. And if the ol’ carrot doesn’t work, go with the blackmail stick.

Q: Tell me about a time when you took the initiative on something.
A: I couldn’t figure out how to reposition our brand so I suggested that we call McKinsey. It was expensive but they made a really awesome deck for us.

Q: Tell me about a time when you were working on a team and there was a conflict.
A: Conflict only exists if you acknowledge it so I just ignore the problem. The situation will eventually work itself out and in the meantime I don’t have to deal with all that stress. Win-win!

5 comments:

  1. Cindy, I absolutely love your blog posts. First thing first, sign up for a Google AdSense account so that you can immediately start monetizing your content. Second, research other affiliate marketing/linking revenue sources. Third, market the hell out of your blog and yourself.

    If you are into marketing, I cannot think of a better time to pursue opportunities in the online/digital advertising space. There are so many niches forming at this very moment. Approach all people and formal interviews are pure networking opportunities ... and maybe shift your attention working for a start-up (e.g. - marketer, servicer, advertiser, publisher, etc.).

    Good Luck!

    Amos Tuck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with AdSense.

    Also, I just snorted all over my screen laughing about your future goat cheese empire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy!! I'm so mad I'm just seeing this! You are hilarious and have my wheels spinning. Expect an email from me soon!

    ReplyDelete